Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Facebook Fun

I have a personal Facebook account, but I am not massively active on it, although I tend to at least log in everyday. It is a easy way of keeping in touch with people in a broad kind of a way, and also can be fun with people posting links, pictures etc. I recently went to a High School reunion that was organised mostly via Facebook, and it was a great way to get in touch with a lot of people.

In a work context Facebook can be used to keep patrons up to date with functions and changes at the library. Ellenbrook Library have a Facebook page that seems to be fairly well used, and kept well up to date. The important thing would be for staff to have a commitment to keeping the page up to date and relevant, and also promoting it to the customers.

4 comments:

  1. I've only just started to use Facebook regularly, I kept finding that when I only checked it once every week or so I would miss out on friends' events! If a library has a page it needs to be maintained regularly, I think the time commitment involved may be a stumbling block for some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belong to several closed groups which has been great as we can control all the rubbish which is sent through Facebook, we are able to share photos of a recent trip which has been fantastic. Yes I am one of those who only checks weekly, my friends understand and email me regularly when I don't report in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't even aware Ellenbrook library had a facebook page until I read this in the Web 2.0 notes for week 7...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Cockburn Libraries facebook page as an example when I try and sell the idea that we need one at Mandurah Libraries. It's great to have another one - Ellenbrook Library - to add to the strategy.

    ReplyDelete